The site of MHS was gazetted for the purpose of public education in 1892 when the first building was completed. More buildings were added as the school population grew, and numerous classifications were made until in 1940 it became an intermediate high school, offering classes from kindergarten to the intermediate certificate, completed after three years of secondary school. Small classes of senior students continued with two additional years to achieve their leaving certificate, an entrance to tertiary study. This school had a badge. The top scroll had plain text in capitals, Mullumbimby in gold on a white background. The bottom scroll, similarly gold on white had the motto: 'play the game'. Inside the circle was an elaborate gold shield outline on a dark blue background. Within the shield was a monogram. A bar was added for captains and prefects.
Elements of this badge were retained in a new badge designed by art teacher Carmen Allen and introduced in 1955 for the reclassified Mullumbimby High School, with around 370 students. The badge retained the colours white, blue and gold, and the motto.
The monogram became MHS on white, the lyrebird refers to the Mullumbimby Municipal Council (1908-1980). The two other elements in the badge look to the sporting (on blue) and academic aspirations (on white) of the school. Finally, there are botanical references including bananas at the sides, pointing to local agricultural industries.
Since 1955, students have worn the badge with pride. Current MHS students are re- discovering its significance. It has an undeniable emotional and symbolic value; it represents a substantial heritage, and confirms the school as a learning institution with a strong tradition.